On January 15, 1908, Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority became America's first Greek-letter organization established by Black college women. Her roots date back to Howard University, Washington, D.C., where the idea for formation was conceived by Ethel Hedgeman Lyle. She viewed the sorority as an instrument for enriching the social and intellectual aspects of college life by providing mental stimulation through interaction with friends and associates.
Through the years, Alpha Kappa Alpha's function has become more complex. After her incorporation as a perpetual body in 1913, Alpha Kappa Alpha branched out and became the channel through which selected college-trained women improved the socioeconomic conditions in their city, state, nation, and the world.
The Alpha Psi Omega Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated has the distinction of being the FIRST Greek letter organization among African-American women in Southeastern North Carolina. On June 2, 1932, our charter members saw the need to establish a chapter that would inspire the young people in the community and foster the finer ideals of womanhood.
On March 7, 1982, Alpha Psi Omega achieved another milestone by being the first chapter in North Carolina to purchase a sorority house. In June 1987, North Carolina Governor James B. Hunt presented the chapter with a Certificate of Appreciation for devotion and volunteer services in the community. In 1988, President Ronald Reagan awarded the chapter a Certificate of Recognition. In December 1989, the chapter chartered an undergraduate chapter -- Omicron Phi -- on the campus of the University of North Carolina at Wilmington.
June 2, 2012 marked the 80th Anniversary of the chapter. With its pulse on the community, Alpha Psi Omega continues to serve all mankind.
Dora Tynes Jones
Alice Woods Lofton
Catherine Howze Robinson
Fannie Penelope White